By Peter Kornbluh
Released at the thirtieth anniversary of common Pinochet's army coup, declassified records that show the startling proof at the back of US collusion with the infamous Chilean dictator.
In the USA, as you recognize, we're sympathetic with what you are attempting to do here....We are looking to aid, no longer undermine you.—Henry Kissinger conversing confidentially to normal Augusto Pinochet
The 1998 arrest of normal Augusto Pinochet in Britain introduced renewed consciousness to the darkish days of his dictatorship and raised questions on America's function in bringing the final and his henchmen to strength.
As due to the the efforts of Peter Kornbluh and the nationwide safety Archive, hundreds of thousands of the govt. files that spell out US executive help of Pinochet have lately been declassified. The Pinochet File makes public a number of the key and previously mystery files of the atrocity and complicity which are on the middle of the overseas crusade to carry this Chilean normal legally answerable for homicide, torture, and terrorism.
Peter Kornbluh's investigative narrative places the records of their historic context—exposing the efforts of Henry Kissinger, the White apartment and the CIA to hide this history—and fills within the gaps of 1 of the main notorious chapters within the historical past of yank overseas coverage.
Among the previously top-secret files in The Pinochet File are:
• Top-secret transcripts of Richard Nixon, Henry Kissinger and different cupboard contributors discussing the right way to "bring Allende down."
• mins of most sensible mystery conferences, chaired by means of Kissinger, to figure out covert operations in Chile.
• CIA Chile activity strength organizational and approach records.
• White condominium state of affairs Room cables welcoming common Pinochet to energy.
• security Intelligence organisation organizational diagrams of Chile's repressive mystery police, DINA.
• Chilean mystery police files on Operation Condor.
• Intelligence reporting to Henry Kissinger on Condor.
• finished CIA, NSC and nation division stories at the September 1976 automobile bombing assassination of Orlando Letelier and Ronni Moffitt.